2019-2020 SUSTAINABILITY REPORT
Verescence Publishes Its 2019-2020 Sustainability Report
Paris, September 17th, 2020 – Verescence, the world’s leading glassmaker for the beauty industry, today announced the publication of its 2019-2020 sustainability report. This third report sets out the progress made as part of its CSR strategy ‘Glass Made to Last’.
Verescence confirmed its excellent CSR results in 2019, receiving the Gold-level rating in the EcoVadis assessment for the second year in a row. The Group has also achieved a CDP score of B for GHG emission reduction and water management. Verescence is continuing its efforts in terms of eco-efficiency through joining the SBTi, in order to structure a long-term approach to reducing its emissions and energy consumption, aligned with the recommendations of the scientific community.
Thomas Riou, CEO of Verescence said:
We can be proud of the progress made in 2019 which confirm the relevance of our 'Glass Made to Last' approach. A solid CSR strategy that is now fully integrated into our overall strategy, with sustainability at the heart of our corporate project ‘Verescence 2022 - Forming the Future’. Today, more than ever, CSR performance is essential throughout our value chain to combine growth of our activity and reduction of our environmental impact.
Highlights of 2019 on the three pillars of Verescence's CSR strategy ‘Glass Made To Last’:
- We shared with all of our employees the objectives of our new strategic plan “Verescence 2022 - Forming the Future” at a global event;
- We invested €1.2 million to improve working conditions;
- We obtained the new ISO 45001 certification for health and safety at work;
- We created the Verescence Academy to structure all of our training programs worldwide.
ACT FOR SOCIETY
- We achieved 96% local purchases, ahead of our 2022 target (>95%) and built new partnerships to develop short supply chains;
- We organized our first Supplier CSR Day with the participation of more than 40 partner companies;
- We help to further develop glass collection and recycling on a national and European level, by signing the “100% glass solutions” charter and through the “Close the glass loop” program;
- We are involved in the "Industrial Territories" initiative to encourage the reindustrialization of our territories and innovation alongside the French public authorities.
- Our CO2 emissions (Scope 1 and Scope 2) decreased by 2.4%, while our production increased over the same period;
- We inaugurated the new furnace at our Covington plant in the United States, which reduced gas consumption by 10%;
- We have been scored ‘B’ by CDP for both Climate Change and Water Security;
- We participate in the "Furnace of the future" project, a key milestone for the industry towards climate-neutral glass packaging;
- We recorded a 130% increase in bottles produced from Verre Infini® NEO and are developing a new high-end recycled glass offer to bring new possibilities to our customers;
- We materialized our commitment to remove solvent-based solutions from all of our finishing sites.
The report is published in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative’s Standard ‘Core’ Reporting Guidelines (cf. Gri-G4). In line with its commitment to transparency and objectivity, Verescence’s third CSR report and the data used to achieve it, have been appraised by an independent third party (KPMG).
Alain Thorré, CSR Director of Verescence commented:
Our CSR performance is rigorously measured to avoid any greenwashing. Year on year, we str